Surviving BookCon 2017 in New York City!
BookCon returns to the Javits Center in Midtown Manhattan on June 3rd and 4th! Large scale conventions can be overwhelming for first time and even repeat attendees. This post sets out to help you make the most of your BookCon experience! Below are some helpful tips and necessary items to bring with you when you attend the convention in a few weeks!
Stay hydrated! Bring a refillable water bottle and make sure you drink, drink, drink! You will be doing a lot of walking around and convention centers are notoriously dry. Staying hydrated will prevent any unwanted health delays to your schedule.
Make sure you bring some snacks! Save all your hard earned money for the BOOKS, not overpriced convention center food. You'll appreciate that granola bar while you are standing in line waiting for your favorite author or panel.
It may seem like common sense, but wear comfortable shoes! As I mentioned before, you will be doing A LOT of walking and will be bogged down with all the free books and ARCs from the various exhibitors.
Speaking of free stuff, bring a backpack and/or tote bag(s) for a comfortable way to transport your new loot! You may want to bring a wheeled suitcase and check it in the bag check area to help make transporting your new books home a lot easier!
Plan ahead! The BookCon website has their panel and autograph schedules up on their site. Take advantage and schedule out and prioritize your day. Have a few backups just in case your first choice is full or the line is capped. Utilize the My Show feature on the BookCon Website and the schedule feature in the BookCon App! Make sure you check out the brand new policy for Autographs this year!
Hit up the ATM before you arrive at the convention center! Avoid the crazy fees from the convention center ATMs. Use your debit card when possible and save the cash for the exhibitors who do not accept debit/credit.
Download the BookCon app and make sure you keep it updated for all of the latest exclusives/show specials, panel schedules, and more!
Bring your phone charger or a portable power bank! You don't want to miss any photo opportunities or lose your panel/autographing session schedule because of a dead battery!
What should I bring with me to BookCon in my bag/backpack?
- Hand Sanitizer: There will be thousands of people at BookCon. Help avoid con-crud and use hand sanitizer!
- Chapstick: Who likes having chapped lips?
- Sturdy Tote Bag: This will be your "go-to" for storing your freebies and convention goodies! Here is a great deal on Amazon for two fold-able travel nylon totes!
- Portable Phone Charger: Your cell phone and electronics are going to be your lifeline during the convention. Your schedule, entertainment, photo, video, networking all depend on having a fully charged cell phone at the ready! Don't get stuck hunting for a charging station or a spare outlet. Check out one or both of the above portable charging options to keep you connected and mobile no matter where you are by clicking the photo above!
- Mints/Gum: No one wants to meet their favorite author with funky breath!
- Water Bottle: As stated before, you don't want to spend your money on water when there are so many awesome exclusives to buy!
- Sharpie: You never know who you may run into while you're wandering around the show floor!
- Networking Materials: Bring along some business cards to help build your network/audience for your blogs, Bookstagrams, Facebook Pages, and BookTuber accounts!
- Medication: No one wants a headache slowing them down! These powder medications from Urgent Rx are fantastic and you don't even need water to take them!
Don't stress out over the schedule...enjoy yourself and take in everything around you!